deskripsi blog

best photographs to share. photographers, artists, graphic designers, and people of the world check this out!

4.04.2012

Passiflora Portraiture: Amazing Passion Flower Photography

Passion flowers (like Orchids) are a world unto themselves with approximately 500 different species and about as many hybrids. Characterized by a ring of coronal filaments (straight, curvy, spiky, or anything in-between), they appear, to me at least, like flowers from another planet.
When encountering my first Passion flower at a local nursery about 10 years ago, I was impressed enough to return home, get my camera, tripod, etc., go back, and attempt to do it justice. Subsequently I joined the Passiflora Society International, attended one of their annual meetings in Florida, photographed a bunch of different species, and managed to alienate the society president who “never in (his) wildest imagination did (he) guess (I) photographed dead flowers” upon discovering I was working with cut blooms (after he had earlier given me permission).
Whether indoors or out-in-the-field, what is involved here is basically Table-Top Photography. So if you have an actual table top, great; otherwise, the name of the game is Improvise. Any solid surface will do — boxes, stools, apple crates, etc. Believe it or not, at home I often use a garbage can (see “Rings & Things”) that is easy to position with regards to the light.

While my subjects here are Passiflora, I suspect the above can be applied to many other types of flowers.

Passion Flower Photography
Passion Flower Photography

Passion Flower Photography

Passion Flower Photography

Passion Flower Photography

Passion Flower Photography

Passion Flower Photography

Passion Flower Photography

Passion Flower Photography

Passion Flower Photography


Passion Flower Photography

Passion Flower Photography

Passion Flower Photography

Passion Flower Photography

source: http://www.thephotoargus.com/inspiration/passiflora-portraiture/